I've mentioned before that the Lord is giving me a new perspective on things. See this http://mclainmoments.blogspot.com/2008/11/closure.html post for an overview. I definitely feel that through the trial of Daddy's cancer and death that the Lord is pruning me and tweaking my thinking.
About 6 weeks ago, Ben and I went to hear a couple named the Getty's(http://getttymusic.com/) perform at the church that we are visiting. (side note - we LOVE our new church) They are from Ireland and they are bascially writing modern day hymns that are fantastic. One of their songs is called "Jesus Draw Me Ever Nearer":
Jesus, draw me ever nearer
As I labor through the storm
You have called me to this passage,
And I'll follow, though I'm worn.
chorus- May this journey bring a blessing
May I rise on wings of faith;
And at the end of my heart's testing,
With Your likeness let me wake.
Jesus, guide me through the tempest;
Keep my spirit staid and sure.
When the midnight meets the morning,
Let me love You even more.
Let the treausres of the trial
Form within me as I go;
And at the end of this long passage,
Let me leave them at Your throne.
That last phrase "let me leave them at Your throne" stuck with me. I began to see our struggle as a blessing that I will lay before the Creator and I felt so honored. It doesn't mean that the pain is any less real or hard, but it brings it back into perspective that everything is for the glory of our Lord.
On that same note, we have been studying 1Peter in our Sunday School class. One of the books themes is suffering. Our teacher showed us this video this morning of John Piper speaking and it was so powerful I wanted to pass it along. This video was hard to swallow, but true. What sticks out to Believers and unbelievers is the way we respond to sufferring. Do we show that God is supreme in our lives? I still wrestle with the question "Am I satisfied with Christ above all?" It reminds me of the Natalie Grant song "Held"
This is what it means to be held.
How it feels when the sacred is torn from your life
And you survive.
This is what it is to be loved.
And to know that the promise was
When everything fell we'd be held.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
wow. that's good stuff RL.
That is good, thanks for sharing.
Ruth Lee, so good to hear from you.. thanks for your kind words of encouragement.. i needed them.. you are so sweet and i am so excited that we will stay in touch=) i love your blog and your boys are growing up so fast! love, karen
Hi Ruth Lee, I'm so glad to have found your blog! Your post is so encouraging. And the pictures from your family's Valentine's Day are too cute.
Post a Comment