Wednesday, August 12, 2009

When the kids are away, the Mommy will play!!




My little sister, Robyn, has the incredible opportunity to do her student teaching in the Dominican Republic. The school is called the Doulous Academy and it is run by 2 former Aggies who are Believers. It is a Christian school and Robyn was accepted into the International Student Teaching program with Texas A&M. She flew out from Houston two Saturdays ago. Check out her blog on my blogroll. :) Anyways, my mom came up with Robyn and they stayed at our house for a couple of days.

I had decided that I needed a break and my mom could tell so she said that she would take the boys home with her. Usually Hudson is super excited about going to BB's house, but not this time. I couldn't quite figure it out. He kept saying, "BB doesn't have a TV in her car and it is going to be a long time until we get to her house." The more I forced my way the bigger the battle got. I relinqueshed it all and my mom just said that she would come back from the airport and just stay a few days and help me out that way. Still I wanted the kids to leave, so I could have some quiet. She came back later that afternoon and mentioned that maybe she could take the boys at night and they might fall asleep in the car. I decided to have one more go at it. I took Hudson into his room and asked again why didnt' want to go and his story stayed the same. Then it dawned on me why. We had just come back from our road trip to Nebraska and he was thinking that he was going to have to be in the car all day long without any movies. :) Once I explained to him that going to Nebraska was A LOT LONGER than going to Tyler he immediately said, "I need to put some underwear in my suitcase so I can go." It is so funny how his mind works. So we packed the kids up, again, and they were on their way by 5:15pm that Saturday night.

Ben and I took full advantage of not having kids! Saturday night we went to dinner and a movie, Sunday morning we slept, ate out for breakfast and spent the whole day together. During the week, I was able to very productive. The first 2 days I spent searching for fabric for my bedroom curtains. I had already gathered swatches from different places a couple of months ago, but I wanted to make sure that I had found the right one. Of course, I go back to the fabric store and they are sold out and that pattern I wanted is now discontinued. So I had to go to plan B. I went to IKEA and found some panels for 1/3 of what it was going to cost me to make and I'm considering adding fringe to them to make them look more unique and custom. I'm still debating on whether or not I like them. Wednesday I spent cleaning and organizing and then got a mani/pedi which was wonderful!! Thursday I did more cleaning and got a haircut and then Ben took me to a terrific restaurant and spent most of the night talking. Friday I made my bathroom curtain and then Ben and I had an AWANA training meeting. After the meeting, we had one last hoorah and went out for pie and coffee. Saturday we met mom and brought the kids home.

Overall it was a terrific week!! I HIGHLY recommend sending your kids to the grandparents. It was nice to enjoy peace and quiet. I especially loved spending time with the Lord in the mornings and not being interrupted. :) I am so thankful that my mom was ready and willing to take both boys for a whole week. Y'all know my boys are active and very curious kids so she had her hands full, but she enjoyed it.


2 comments:

Sara Neufeld said...

Oh wow! That sounds so great!! I'd love to see pictures of your bedroom curtains. :)

When do you find out what you're having?

Becky said...

Sounds like you had fun! I love your bathroom curtains, I've been trying to figure out something like that for my bathroom.