Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Refreshment

I have a tendency to try to do it all. I have always been this way and the Lord has been working on me in this area for the last year and a half. Apparently, I am stubborn because I am still dealing with this. :) I have a hard time sitting still and letting others help me. I guess I am more of a control person than I thought. :) I want things done a certain way and the ugly truth is that I want to say I did it myself. The problem with that is I am not relying on God, but on myself.

My mom was at my house for 9 days and then my in laws were here for 5 days. Everyone was so helpful, but I still wouldn't stop and let them do things for me like I should have. The Lord is teaching me to STOP and allow others to help and not be so self reliant.

At the root of all of this is pride. I think as moms, we try to do it all and for some of us it is to show that we can do it all which is pride. The Lord is teaching me that it is okay to have a strong work ethic, but to know when to let others help. In a way, I am robbing others of the blessing of service when I insist on doing it myself.

I hope I am not the only one that deals with this. :) I was just thinking on this topic this morning, because I was supposed to go to Bible Study after I dropped the boys off at school but decided that I needed to take a break. I felt so bad, because I am a small group leader and part of me feels like I shouldn't miss even though noone expects me to be there but I put high expectations on myself. So I told myself that it was okay to miss and I came home, made coffee, and spent time reading and praying. It was so good to just REST in the presence of the Lord and allow Him to refresh me! I hope you can stop and remember that no one can do it all and we aren't supposed to. Allow God to walk with you and carry you through each day!!

2 comments:

Sara Neufeld said...

good stuff, ruth lee. i totally relate. It is so hard for me to sit by and watch other people do "my" job.
I agree that we have to choose to allow others the blessing of serving us when we need it.

:)

Kelly said...

Totally agree!! Hang in there friend! You are on a precious journey! You are a blessing to me!! Love you friend! Wish we could sit and enjoy coffee together and share face to face.....Thankful Heaven is our home!!! Consider yourself hugged!! =)